The Heritage Museum is part of the Bedford Hall, which lies off Station Road.
The museum is run and maintained by the Thorney Society. Step inside and view the displays depicting the development of the village from its early monastic history to the present. Models show the start of Ancarig, the sacking by the Vikings, to a model depicting the Benedictine Monastery as it may have been developed.
The display demonstrates how the village developed as an agricultural estate under the Dukes of Bedford and their building of the 'Model Village'. It is brought up to date by the section on the effect of the various wars Thorney has been involved in, particularly the Prisoner of War camps and Women's Land Army and the new (1940) Duke of Bedford School.
The museum also holds, and displays, records and photographs to help the family historian.
Conducted tours of the Abbey and the Victorian Model Village last for 1 - 1 1/2 hours and include a gentle walk of 30 minutes.
Another Link at: Visit Peterborough